How to get to Machu Picchu from Cusco is a very frequent question of every traveler, here we will give you some tips and advice on how to get to Aguas Calientes, “Machu Picchu town” from Cusco. Know the most famous routes to visit the Inca city of Machu Picchu.
Machu Picchu from Cusco Via Train
One of the ways to get to Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu Town) from Cusco is by train, this route is generally very beautiful since on the way you can see beautiful landscapes of the sacred valley of the Incas.
To opt for this option you must purchase your train ticket from the San Pedro train station or buy directly from the pages of Peru Rail or Inca Rail, both companies offer the train from Cusco to Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu town). This service is available from April to December, in other months the route is closed.
How to get to the San Pedro station?
• From the Cusco Airport, you can choose to take a taxi, the approximate cost is 10 Soles and the estimated time is 30 minutes, it all depends on the city traffic.
• From the center of Cusco and surroundings, you can take a taxi, cost 5 soles and the approximate time is 15 minutes, it all depends on the traffic of the city.
• From the Plaza de Armas of Cusco or very close to it you can choose to walk. The San Pedro train station is 10 minutes from the Plaza de Armas of Cusco. You can walk with ease but always take care of your belongings.
Machu Picchu from Ollantaytambo Via Tren
Another option to get to Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu town) is by Ollantaytambo via train, this route is very beautiful and many travelers prefer to opt for it, since they first want to visit the archaeological center of Ollantaytambo or want to visit the town of Ollantaytambo, it is optional which visits you want.
How to get to the Ollantaytambo train station?
• From Cusco Airport you can ask and board a taxi, the price they will offer you will be from 70 soles to 130 soles, it all depends on the number of passengers and how you negotiate the price. The trip will take approximately 1 hour and 50 minutes. You can also hire a private transfer service online.
• From the city of Cusco to Ollantaytambo, here you have two options: you can hire a private or shared service. If you want a private service you can search the internet, here we leave you a contact: www.cuscoairporttransport.com, if you want a shared transfer you can go to calle pavitos and take a VAN / H1 or Sprinter, the cost is from 8 soles to 12 suns, keep in mind that when being shared you must wait until the mobility is full so that it can go out.
• Through a Tour: Another option is through a tour, currently there are two tours that go along that route, the Sacred Valley of the Incas tour or the Chinchero Maras Moray tour with the Sacred Valley, both tours are very feasible since you have the option of staying in Ollantaytambo without any problem. In general, both tours are around 15:00 in Ollantaytambo, that is, you would stay in Ollantaytambo and you would not return to Cusco.
Machu Picchu from Cusco by car or hydroelectric route
One of the cheapest options to get to Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu Town) from Cusco is by car / on the route from Machu Picchu to Hidroeléctrica. This route is somewhat tired more than everything on the car trip, which is approximately 6 hours from Cusco to Hidroelectrica. Once at the Hydroelectric you must walk around 2 hours to 3 hours to reach Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu Town).
How to get to Aguas Calientes by auto route Hidroelectria?
• You can choose to hire the transfer service, several agencies offer this transfer service which is between 40 soles one way, if you want round trip the cost is 80 soles, but keep in mind that they have a fixed departure and return time They do not have several hours.
• You can also go to the Quillabamba terminal located in the Santiago district, here there are several cars / van / sprinter that leave from time to time for Quillabamba and can leave you very close to the hydroelectric plant. Always warn when you hire that you want to go to the hydroelectric and if they leave you near or go to the same destination.
• By Tour: Another option to reach Aguas Calientes via Hydroelectric is by tour, this tour starts from Cusco (7:00 hrs) and at the hydroelectric you will be (15:00 hrs) from there you must walk for approximately 3 hours to get to Aguas Calientes. Machu Picchu service by car includes: transfer, entrance to Machu Picchu, lunch, dinner, bilingual guide, snack and one night accommodation in Aguas Calientes. This service you will find from $ 100 to $ 130 depends on the travel agency where you hire. The route is the same but the service varies according to each agency. Each agency will give you information on how the tour will be so you will have it very clear.